Saturday, April 25, 2009

the $25,000 bracelet

When I was in New York, my dear friend Carolena, a native New Yorker and fellow coach and jewelry designer, took me to the jewelry district. It was amazing. More diamonds than I have ever seen. Huge diamonds. Yellow, pink, clear dazzling diamonds in so many sizes, shapes and colors. Sparkly.
One of the things that I found so amazing was the shopkeepers. They beckon to the window shoppers from inside the store. Carolena told me that if it hadn't been drizzling, they would be outside trying to herd people in. Weird. Definitely not my experience in North Carolina.
As we walked, I saw things that I was really attracted to, things I loved and things I found incredibly gaudy. But one thing that they had in common was that they were all pretty damn expensive. But free to look at.
Carolena found this bracelet in the window. She was so taken with it immediately. Love at first sight.
I said, "Why don't you go in and try it on" thinking that she would just say no, that was okay. But she said yes. YES!
So in we go.
There was a great salesman in there, though for the life of me, I can't remember his name. I want to say it started with an N but nevermind. I remember that his kids have hermit crab that have been handed down 3 times and which now reside with him but I can't remember his name.
We had a great chat. Carolena asked to see the piece. The guy was smooth. He had it out and before we knew it, the clasp was making that satisfying click as the bracelet encircled her wrist. Perfectly. She loved it on as much as she she did in the window. It looked even more expensive up close. Here I was thinking that I didn't want the guy to know that it was a ruse that we could even afford to consider the bracelet. Just posing as abundant. But he didn't seem to care nor did Carolena.
The salesman wanted to know if she wanted to take it home. She said no, not right then. We took a look at the price tag. Almost $25,ooo. Holy toledo!
I was trying to act cool and said hm, $25,ooo. He tells me quickly that isn't the final price. He goes to $11, 800. Okay, huge discount but still huge price tag. We finished a really fun chat. The exhilaration hit me and I wanted to start bargaining with him. I was possessed but to what end what I negotiating? It was just game on and I was ready to play! Eventually we left the store.
I told Carolena that I was so proud of her just trying it on. Why would this be such a big deal for me?
It's all about how I see myself. Am I the kind of person who could afford a $25,ooo bracelet? And regardless of my bank balance, would I try it on?
Clearly, I don't. Didn't. Maybe still don't, I am not sure.
That got me to thinking about what I can expect in my life if I put limits on it. If I don't let myself entertain a $25,ooo bracelet then I will never be able to afford one.
Maybe I won't have ever have such a pricey bracelet. But why not earrings? ;) Or a pendant and why not $250,000?
This is an abundant, feeling Universe in which we live. I am practicing feeling more abundant. I have always had what I expected and never had what I didn't. No more, no less.
I have been playing this great game called The Prosperity Game. Check out www.choosingprosperity.com to play for free. It is so much fun.
One thing that happened while I was in New York was that my iPod touch and I parted ways. I think I know when but can't be 100% sure. And it doesn't really matter. I called the restaurant for the 3 days that I was there. No one ever saw it. Oh well.
Perhaps it was a bus boy who might not ever be able to afford one and who might really love it. Good fortune for him. Good lesson for me.
The same thing bothered me about my independent iPod and my lost job...the money. That was the only thing. Scarity.
Well, in my new vein of receiving, I was able to most gratefully accept an iPod Touch from one of my dearest friends, Michelle. I went over to see her when I returned home and in a moment of sheer generosity, Michelle offered me hers. I said no maybe 3 or so times. Each time I heard myself telling the Universe that I was refusing what I wanted. It was coming to me easily and effortlessly. I say this is what I want but when it happens I say, no? That can't be right.
So I asked her if she was sure. She told me that if I took hers, then she could get a new one. She wanted a bigger one. I think she just wanted to express her love and give me something that would really mean a lot to me.
I said yes. She gave it to me immediately. Wow. How amazing is that? That is coming from a place of abundance for sure.
Every single time I use it, and I use it all the time, I think of her and smile with gratitude. It was a great gift in so many ways. The sheer fact of it, the impulse to give joy. Wow.
This path of abundance and receiving is new to me on this scale. But one of my greatest joys is learning. Learning that this Universe supports each of us in the way that we expect really does make me want to raise my expectations.
I am all for trying. Wait, is that Yoda's voice I hear "There is no try. Only do or do not."
I have this great magnet on my frig with a photo of an older, kind of fluffy woman, in a dress with an umbrella in one hand and her purse in another, running at her top speed for the waves. The caption is "Ever notice that 'What the Hell' is always the right answer?"
Try the bracelet on, world. Try the bracelet on!
Say YES to the Universe!

No comments: