Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's a New Day!


On Tuesday, we had a holiday all over the world. Millions upon millions of people tuned in to see Barack Obama sworn in as president. Already we are seeing changes...the US adopts a non torture policy and Gitmo is slated for closure. Amazing to me that we needed to make this change...that it was every in place at all.
There are so many people who are proud to be Americans again. This doesn't mean that we relinquished our citizenship before but we weren't proud of what our country was doing. And the only thing that we could really do, besides writing letters which fell on deaf ears and participating in peaceful demonstrations which were also pretty useless, was wait.
But there is a change in the air.
As I watched the Inauguration, I felt full of gratitude. FULL of gratitude. I cried. Tears of joy. In appreciation that this man and his family are willing to step into the fire to restore this country to its former greatness. And to lead us to greater heights than we may have imagined. We are a proud country. My husband is English and they do not feel this kind of patriotism. We have something special and we have taken it for granted for far too long. We are great and there is responsibility in that.
When I see Obama and Michelle, even their kids, I am struck by how grounded they are. They deal with what comes along with calm and humor. With sensitivity and sensibility. I have a President whose character I want to emulate. Wow.
I want to make what is a rather surprising note for me. I attribute it to the wiser, more compassionate part of me.
When I watched Bush on inauguration day, my heart went out to him. For the first time in a long time, I saw him not as the buffoon who was tormenting the world, who inspired me to come up with the political party "denialist".
On Tuesday, I saw him as a human who was not up to the job. Some people have greatest in them. Some don't. He didn't. It's a dangerous thing when someone without greatness takes a place of power. It is kind of like a pack mentality. The alpha dog can do whatever he wants, whether he is right or not.
He wasn't. I am the first to admit that I would probably be a crap president. No, definitely. But I have the sense not to run. I want to change the world but I do it from the energetic place that I am in alignment with. That is where our gifts shine, when we have a level of self awareness that understands our strengths and knows how to best use them.
This man, who is now a former president and citizen, wasn't in alignment with his gifts. He must have some. I think he took so many vacations because it took too much energy for him to keep trying to live up to his position. Everyone who voted for him has to take some responsibility in that.
Today he is a man, living in a 4 bedroom house (at least one house sold in his area!) who 2 days ago was president and today can sleep as long as he wants. I can't imagine what that would be like.
I am so grateful that the Bush era (error) is over. So thankful.
And it is a new day. I am proud. I am calm. I am hopeful.
It is a time that America can once again lead by hope and strength and not the strength of fear. Our President believes in that. Millions of people believe in it, feel it.
This is rise of not only America, but of all those who long to soar.
photo taken by Erik Prince, sunrise, Outer Banks, NC

No comments: